Hollerith's School of Phreaking and Hacking
This article is a stub and will be fleshed out when more information is available.
In Sharon's dream world of Harry Barker, Hollerith's School of Phreaking and Hacking is the premiere education institution for hackers world wide. For Harry Potter fans, it is roughly analogous to Hogwarts.
Gifted young hackers are admitted to Hollerith's when they reach the age of eleven. By this time, many of them have already started coding and perhaps even hacking on their own (with or without their parents' knowledge), but the purpose of the school is to hone their skills and guide them into the purer forms of hacking and away from the black arts of cracking. The typical duration of instruction is seven years, with summers off. By the time the students graduate, they are deemed qualified to function as full-fledged members of the secret hacker society.
Students at Hollerith's are divided into four "subnets" (houses in Harry Potter) which become the pupils' family while at school. The subnets foster a sense of family, giving the students a common goal and community to build and maintain. Subnets often compete in various ways over the school term, collecting positive and negative points throughout the year which are totaled to form a final score at the end of term. The four Subnets of Hollerith's are named after famous hackers of various skill and notoriety and include:
- Torvalds Subnet, named after Linus Torvalds, creator and chief architect of Linux
- Ritchie Subnet, named after Dennis Ritchie, creator of C and a key developer of UNIX
- Wozniak Subnet, named after Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple
- Mitnick Subnet, named after Kevin Mitnick, a controversial hacker
Students are sorted into the four Subnets at the beginning of their first term by the Sorting Cat. First years sit at a table before a disconnected monitor and keyboard and the Sorting Cat lays in whatever fashion it wishes across their wrists, eventually declaring that the student in question belongs to a specific subnet. Although the designation appears to completely arbitrary to the unfamiliar observer (and surely to the first years in question), the cat's methodologies are very sophisticated and it has never to date been proven to make an incorrect selection.
The primary intermural sport at Hollerith's is Quakish. Each subnet has a team which competes against the other subnets throughout the year, with the results of these matches tallied into the subnets' scores at the end of term. Hollerith's also occasionally competes in Quakish tournaments with other hacking schools, although we haven't encountered an example of such a tournament.
Faculty & Staff
- Tim Dumpingcore, headmaster
- Patty McDongle, teacher and head of Torvalds Subnet
- Scott Sysape, Scripts Master and head of Mitnick Subnet
- Dexter J. Smith: Job position unknown
- Professor Quux
- Harry Barker, Torvalds Subnet
- Donald Measly, Torvalds Subnet
- Darco Mouso, Mitnick Subnet
- Nermal Shorttop, Torvalds Subnet
- Harmony Stranger, Torvalds Subnet
- Oliver Woot, Torvalds Subnet, Captain of the Torvalds Quakish team